Offering in home customized postpartum support services for your physical recovery, emotional needs, feeding preferences, education & information about newborn care, relationship changes, sibling adjustment, home safety and so much more.
Get More Sleep and Love Your Role as Mom With Support from a Postpartum Doula
You Deserve to Feel Like the Hero You Are, Mama!
Breastfeeding Shouldn’t Hurt and Babies Should Sleep. Support From a Postpartum Doula Can Show You the Way.
Congratulations! Motherhood is often called the best job in the world because it is. It’s also the hardest, toughest, most frustrating, anxiety causing job in the world. Why? Because too many moms try to do it alone.
These feelings are not uncommon:
- Overwhelmed at 3 a.m. when your newborn won’t stop fussing and you’re not sure why;
- Frustration when you’re not able to swaddle your squirming baby tightly enough to give him the comfort (and you the sleep) he so desperately needs;
- Toe curling, breath holding pain pain as you try to latch your baby onto your breast for another meal.
- Wanting desperately to be the best at everything… and then feeling immense guilt when you feel like you can’t get as much done as you’d like.
Yes, these feelings are all too common. The problem? They don’t have to be.
As a mom, you’re a superhero in my eyes. You’ve grown a person inside of you. Soon, you’ll watch that person leave your body and enter the world. When he does, you’ll be the sole provider to make sure he’s happy, healthy and hunger-free. It’s an around-the-clock job with no vacation time and all-too-often, very little thanks. There’s no training manual, which means, you’re probably feeling like you’re going to have to learn how to do this all on your own.
Shouldn’t you have support along the way?
I started Your Family’s Journey, LLC because I believe YES. Every mom should have a helping hand to support her while she gets her bearings and embarks on the motherhood path.
Whether this is your first child, or your fourth, the journey of motherhood is uniquely challenging with every new person you bring into the world. That’s where I come in. I’m here to lend a hand and make you fall in love with mommyhood all over again, even if you’re feeling disconnected, disengaged and disappointed in yourself for not having the warm and fuzzy feelings you think you’re supposed to be having right about now.
How Can I Help You?
I’ve built Your Family’s Journey, LLC to provide a judgement and agenda free zone.
No matter how much support you have from family, having a postpartum doula can provide a immense relief. That’s because when you work with me, you’re working with someone who is well-versed in the latest trends and research, but non-bias. In other words, I’ll never tell you what you “should” do. I encourage your parenting style and decisions. Whether you breastfeed or bottle feed, or you decide to sleep train or co-sleep, I’m here to support you in becoming the mom you want to be.
I also come equipped with a wealth of community resources ready to provide to you, including but not limited to:
- A chiropractor to help turn a breech baby or put your body (or your baby’s body) back in alignment after delivery;
- Flotation therapy to alleviate pregnancy discomforts;
- Pediatrician recommendations;
- A photographer to capture pregnancy and newborn sweetness;
- A housekeeper to give you relief from cleaning;
- A financial advisor to help set up your child’s college fund;
- A support group to meet up and socialize with other moms and babies;
- A mortgage broker if you need to upgrade to a bigger house;
- A nanny to help out when you return to work;
- A wealth of ideas for date night for you and your significant other.
Every mother is different. All fathers are different. Every family is different. I am here to support all of you in your unique styles.
Here are a few ways I can help you as you enter your new roles:
Feeding Your Child Without Pain
Your child must eat. In your baby’s first days out of the womb, s/he will eat A LOT – sometimes every hour. This is normal and healthy, but without help, it can also be draining and difficult.
- Lactation support from a trained and certified lactation educator
- Bottle feeding and pumping support
- Assessment of potential causes of painful breastfeeding and referrals for how to fix it (because it might not be something you’re doing wrong!)
- Help assessing hunger cues before your baby cries
- Show you different burping positions to help
Comforting the Colic and Caring for Your Child
Babies cry. It’s a part of life because it’s their only form of communication. When the fussiness turns into colicky, sleepless nights, you feeling understandably overwhelmed, exhausted and frustrated. I can help.
- Demonstration of various positions that can help you help your baby get the relief s/he needs to relax
- Swaddling instruction to help your baby rest more comfortably and fall asleep faster
- Bathing instruction to make bath time enjoyable for everyone
- Teaching of Dr. Harvey Karp’s 5 S’s to help calm your baby
- Baby wearing help
- Diapering education (no more red bottoms!)
- Help understanding normal newborn sleeping patterns
Prioritizing Your Health and Happiness
Your body is about to go through something spectacular. In an instant, your life will change dramatically. What do you think this will look like? How will you feel?
Sometimes, the way you envision your postpartum period isn’t always the reality. With my help, you can get as close to your dream postpartum period as possible, letting you go easy on yourself while you recover.
- Assistance in creating a postpartum plan so you feel prepared and ready
- Monitor you closely for signs and symptoms of the baby blues, postpartum depression and anxiety
- Hydration and nutrition support to help speed your recovery
- Monitoring of your physical health after you return home from the hospital from a Registered Nurse (RN)
- Emotional support of your birth and parenthood experience
- Nurturing you to help you focus on bonding and rest (instead of stress)
- Complete respect of your parenting decisions
- Help you find YOUR groove to relax and build your confidence as a new mom
- Organize and plan your days according to your parenting desires
- Care of baby so you can nap, shower and enjoy eating a meal with two hands!
Prepping Your Family
Bringing a new family member into the home isn’t always easy. I can help.
- Supporting your spouse (because the first few weeks of parenting are hard for him too)
- Sibling care, integration, adjustment, attention and bonding
- Help with the introduction, adjustment and bonding for your four-legged fur babies
- Bring a sense of calm into your home with more structure and less anxiety
- Maintain a comfortable and safe environment for your family
Prepping Your Home
It’s never too early to start preparing your home for your new arrival!
- Nursery care management, including organizational tips you can’t find on Pinterest
- Registry assistance so you get everything you need and less of the things you don’t
- Baby proofing your home (this should start much earlier than you’d expect)
“She was like a security blanket, a listener, a well-educated person that has witnessed what has and has not worked” ~ Amelia
What I Don’t Offer:
There are certain services I do not offer to families, including:
- Diagnosis of medical conditions in mother or baby, nor any other family member
- Taking over the care of the baby or your other children while you leave the home
- Providing transportation to and from appointments
- Acting as a babysitter, nanny or housekeeper
- Tolerating verbal or physical abuse, or possible criminal behaviors by anyone in the family.
- Caring for your baby from dawn til dusk while you sleep. I’m happy to stay into the wee hours of the morning so you can get a solid chunk of rest, or I have a great agency that offers overnight support that I can refer you to for full overnight care.
Your Health and Happiness Must Come First
You must take care of yourself if you’re going to be the best mom you can be for your family.
I’m here to help you get the support, love and guidance you want so that your journey into motherhood is more enjoyable. Contact me anytime in your third trimester or after to get started.